The Coast looking SW towards Cap Agde from Sete. Mediterranean on left, Etang de Thau on the right.

After repairing the Gooseneck the new Lazy bag from Hamble Covers was fitted, then the mainsail and conversion to single line reefing on the 2nd and 3rd reefs.

Sailed from Pt Napoleon on 30th June 07 on a nice quiet day for our first Med adventure. Genoa out to 2nd reef in Gulf de Fos for better visibilty in big ship channels.

Light winds and calm - 4-5 knots in wind - ran engine for 15 mins off bouche du Rhone then nice wind to Saintes Maries de la Mer - arrived 17:50. Had dinner in bad restaurant - Les Launes - incredibly slow service, bad food and rude staff.


We delayed leaving St Maries due to bad weather warnings; but left at 14:05 for Port Camargue - hoping for good chandlers for some rigging bits etc.

Wind 14knts SE speed 7.5knts - then rose to force 7 with large thunder storm ahead - lightning bolts striking sea 2 miles ahead. Took in reefs to slow us down to miss storm; then once the storm was clearing to land shook out again and headed for South Cardinal at 8 knots to beat the rising wind. Moored Pt Camargue 17:30 in nice berth close to Capitainerie and showers.

Pleasantly surprised by Pt Camargue - huge marina/housing project but nicely done and lots of chandlers and good restaurants. Fortunate as we were storm bound for a day - but got many useful boat bits and some superfluous stuff!

- Berthed in Pt Camargue.

Dinner service in Port Camargue


Beer ( alcohol free!) with rising wind.


Grau de Roi next to Pt Camargu e

3rd July sailed for Sete; motored out of Pt Camargue for 35 mins - engine off when wind F2-3. Moored - tight squeeze between two others, bows to pontoon in Old Basin.


Simon with Grande Motte behind


Going up to see the view Sete

Harbour light Sete

OLd Canal to Etang de Thua in Sete


The Old Harbour Sete

On 6th July wind abated and at 12:55 left Sete wind F4 nice sail to Gruissan where we had called at the marina and old village on our way back from the Sahara last year.      Gruissan morning.


From Gruissan we set sail next day at 09:55 for Port Vendres. The wind gradually increased as we approached Cap Bear getting up to F6 with some waves to leap off.. We beat into the lee of Cap Bear ( wind SW) and dropped sails at 19:10 and motored up to Pt Vendres passing close by Colliure on the way. Moored Bows to Quay with stern ropes picked up from line on quay at 20:30. 44 Nm logged.


Berthed in Pt Vendre


Our gas supply to the cooker had been failing - so we had it all apart and traced the problem to a dirty and sticking gas shut off valve; the valve had copper swarf inside - an indication of bad workmanship by the installers - should always use pipe cutting ring tool - not hacksaw!! Put back together tested system with soapy bubbles and can cook again!


South of Entrance to Pt Vendres

Colliure street


Traditional lateen rig boats in Colliure.


Colliure looking NW



Our Route including crossing the border into Spain to Llansa.


A Mackintosh trail sign, at the point where he painted the picture.

Port Vendres Basin 2

We wanted to see Port Vendres as this is where Charles Rennie Macintosh spent his last years painting the local scenes. There is a small Macintosh museum and a trail with plaques showing where he painted each of his distinctive pictures.

[Home] [Crew] [Additions] [Guernsey Southampton] [Shamrock to Honfleur] [MicroTransat]